[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Chip design coincidence

Chip design coincidence

Chip design coincidence

Postby LamsonNguyen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I stumbled upon , and raised an eyebrow when they mentioned using 16 and 64 core chips. I dug around and found the , only to be disappointed when I hit page 7, which mentioned them simulating the multi-core x86 chips. Still, there was a diagram of a 64 core chip that was tiled just like the E64 and a NOC was used as well, so maybe someone needs to be introduced to Parallella. ;)
LamsonNguyen

Re: Chip design coincidence

Postby aolofsson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Well, research is very different from products...There are pros and cons of using simulators vs building chips. The same group at MIT also built a 110 processor chip that was presented at HotChips.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... _processor
(100mm^2 in 45nm based on article, I don't have the hotchips slides..).

Compare this to the Epiphany-IV (64 cores in 10mm^2 in 28nm). Certainly not apples to apples, but it does put the Epiphany density in perspective.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby Gravis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 am

Gravis

Postby LamsonNguyen » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:10 am

Gravis, not sure how you would think that I would think that Epiphany is a rip-off since this paper was just published, nor the need for a lecture. My intention was not to attack Adapteva, just simply to point out the prevalence of the powers of two, which I had not noticed before. Full disclosure: Programming is a hobby for me and I don't have a formal CS education, but I've read the arch and sdk references. I don't understand everything, for sure, but I'll be re-reading them once I get my boards and getting my hands dirty. So, my lack of posts regarding the more technical matters on the forums doesn't give you the right to dismiss me as an idiot, only as someone less knowledgeable than yourself. :D
LamsonNguyen

Postby Gravis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:06 am

@LamsonNguyen
i was not trying to lecture or dismiss you. i didnt look at your alias, so didn't register in my mind and i thought you were new to the forum (there has been some new blood lately). try reading my post as if it were an article, not something directed to you and you may find it informative (which is how i intended it to be read) rather than disparaging. i help people new to electronics on IRC, so it's not uncommon for me to have to explain certain design concepts and their common use.
Gravis

Postby LamsonNguyen » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:55 pm

It's good that you seek to write to inform people new to electronics, so hats off to you, though I'm sure looking at peoples' aliases would be helpful when replying. :lol:
LamsonNguyen

Return to Just for Fun