[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Scientific video processing application

Scientific video processing application

Scientific video processing application

Postby halvorka » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi,

I'm considering parallella for a scientific instrument I'm developing, but I'm a little concerned about the learning curve. I have a technical background and programming experience in scientific programs like labview and matlab, but only a familiarity with languages like c++ and fortran. Here is the application: I'm acquiring video from a gigabit ethernet camera at about 75 MB/s (5MP at 15fps) in a small and (basically) isolated space. I'd like to do one of two things:

1) save the video to an SD card (with or without compression) for later analysis
or
2) perform real-time image analysis consisting of center finding for ~5000 identical circular patterns, and calculating the local image variance for each of the 5000 regions. Then I would need to save this data to SD or transmit wirelessly. I already have algorithms for the analysis.

Due to the constraints of the system, this needs to also be done on battery power. Based on browsing these message boards that may pose some additional difficulties.

It seems like parallella may be able to work in this application, but my main concern is the learning curve involved in implementing this. Does anyone here have ideas on how long this might take to implement?

Any input would be appreciated...

Ken
halvorka

Re: Scientific video processing application

Postby over9000 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 am

over9000

Re: Scientific video processing application

Postby halvorka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks over9000,

You've given me a lot to think about, and I appreciate your thoughtful response. My experience is definitely more high-level, where I typically don't have to think much about things like memory access and how data is moved.

Your questions about previous algorithms are valid, I didn't really give any details. I've implemented solutions before in matlab and lab view, but the questions you bring up are things I haven't really been forced to think about in those contexts. I have used the Fast Radial Symmetry Transform (FRST) previously, which I believe uses the Hough transform as you suggest. This one in particular I've read is well suited to parallel computing. That can determine the positions of the particles and be used to establish regions of interest, which I then need to extract further information about the focus of the particles. The simplest focus measure I've used is simply the image variance of each region which reaches a maximum when the particle is in sharp focus and drops off as it becomes blurry. Other measures I've used take advantage of the Newton ring pattern of the particles and are more computationally intense. In this case it involves calculating a radial intensity profile for each particle and fitting the curve with a model or pattern matching against a set of curves from a calibration.

I've got to go back and do my homework on this, thanks so much for your input.

Ken
halvorka

Return to Image and Video Processing