Blinking green LED?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Blinking green LED?

Postby svidgen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 am

Just got my board today, including the Adapteva-provided SD card and PSU. Plugged everything in, and all I get is a rapidly blinking green light. All related posts seem to suggest I get a better PSU. Hopefully the PSU Adapteva selected and shipped is adequate ...

This should work on a basic level out of the box, no?
svidgen

Re: Blinking green LED?

Postby FHuettig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:09 am

Hi svidgen,

Is the "rapidly blinking green light" the one on the ethernet connector, or the LED on the edge of the board, CR8, just above the final 'A' in PARALLELLA? The former normally does blink rapidlly and somewhat randomly during a normal boot, but CR8 should be rock-solid or there is likely a problem with your power supply. If you have the means you might want to measure the voltage at the input, on the socket for the DC power connector. I would also recommend starting out without any USB connections.

-Fred
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby svidgen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 am

It's CR8.

And I just noticed *all* the LEDs, including those on the ethernet port, are blinking very subtly. If that indicates a PSU issue, given that mine was part of the accessory kit, do you think I can expect Adapteva to ship me another one?
svidgen

Postby gceline » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Please contact support@adapteva.com - we need to find out why this happened.
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby svidgen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

As it turns out, my ROKU also uses a 5V supply (only 2.5A though). And that works.

It was rather dumbfounding to think they'd ship a bad PSU after making a point of having an adequate, high quality PSU! But, that's obviously the issue.

Thanks!
svidgen

Postby aolofsson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks for the data point!! Could you help us out with the following information?
-what voltage level are you using(110/220V?), country?
-are you plugging PSU into a wall or a power strip.
-could you post a picture (or send to support@adapteva.com) of the sticker on the bad PSU that we supplied.
Thanks,
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby tuxrocket » Thu May 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Same issue here- blinking LED with accessory pack provided PSU. I received mine two days ago.
Attachments
psu.jpg
PSU front and back
psu.jpg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 24074 times
tuxrocket

Postby tuxrocket » Thu May 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Sorry- left out other details. In the US, tried with power strip and without, same result. Normal 110 outlets (tried different circuits too). One thing that I thought was odd was that the light on the PSU itself blinked intermittently too. Again, this is the one shipped from Adapteva. I'm going to go try my Roku psu. ;)
tuxrocket

Postby tuxrocket » Thu May 01, 2014 2:40 pm

I do indeed get a steady light with the Roku psu, but the board doesn't seem to boot. LED is solid as is the green led on the network port. But no sign of it on my lan, nor HDMI when I tried that.
tuxrocket

Postby svidgen » Sat May 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Sorry for the delay. I snapped the picture, had to head out the door, and forgot I hadn't uploaded it. See attached.

The ID on the other side, if relevant, is MI424WR.

Connected to a US 110V power strip. The adapter that works (on the same power strip) is from the original ROKO. It's 5V 2.5A.
Attachments
Parallella-PSU.jpg
Parallella-PSU.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 24006 times
svidgen

Next

Return to Troubleshooting