[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Blinking green LED?

Blinking green LED?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: Blinking green LED?

Postby tuxr » Sun May 04, 2014 8:08 pm

I am also getting a blinking green light on the board as well as on the power supply which is the same as the pictured above (the one sent with parallella accessory package marked MI424WR). The light on the PS blinks as well and I tested the outlet and it works fine. I hope it isn't the board as I took precautions against ESD during unpacking. I am going to try another PS and see if that fixes the issue.
tuxr

Postby tuxr » Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 am

Using another 5VDC 3A power supply I was able to get my board up and running. If you got the accessory package and the light on the ps plug is blinking (along with the board) mine was solved by using different power supply (mine came from a powered USB Hub that I wasn't using anymore)
tuxr

Postby seandoyle » Mon May 05, 2014 6:39 pm

I believe I'm having a similar issue. The power unit was one that was sent to me by Adapteva.

When I plug in my parallela it is initially a solid green but then it starts blinking. The green light on the board above 'A', the green light on the power supply, and the ethernet link light all blink in synchrony.

It's the same if it's plugged into the wall or a powerstrip.

If I plug in a different power source I can see the login screen - and I can ssh into the device. So - I think this means that it's a issue with the power supply.

I've attached a picture of the device problematic device.

I'm in the US. The working power source (an old linksys power supply) is plugged into a power strip and working fine.
Attachments
ParallelaPowerSupply.JPG
ParallelaPowerSupply.JPG (286.76 KiB) Viewed 21412 times
seandoyle

Postby aolofsson » Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 pm

That's disappointing. Can you send us the power supply to help us debug this issue? (contact support@adapteva.com) We would really appreciate it!!

Can you confirm again that the board does work as expected with your own power supply.

We'll send you a new PSU and a nice present as thanks. For everybody's sake, if there is a PSU quality issue, we want to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible!

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby Bryant » Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 am

I'm having the same problem with the power supply I received. I sent a note to the support e-mail. Unfortuately I just disposed of a bunch of my old wall warts and so I don't have anything to test it against. Perhaps Fry's will carry something.
Bryant

Postby tatac1 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi There.

I have 2 Parallella boards and 2 PSUs(5V 3A, and 2A ) that are not Adapteva provided, plugged in the connector of the boards, and the LEDs on the edge of the boards blinking green.

I am not sure 2 PSUs of mine are not hight quality, so I will try to use the regulated power supply of the office where I work at
tatac1

Postby doomfest » Sat May 10, 2014 6:28 pm

I am also getting a blinking green LED when using one of my 2 power adapters that came in the kits. I got 2 boards and 2 kits.
The boards work fine with one of the power adapters but the other power adapter just makes the green led blink on the board and on the power adapter itself.

I used my multimeter on one of the grounded hole mounts and the power on the j15 connection and I saw the voltage fluctuating from 3.9V to 4.9V. :!:

BTW, the power adapter says that its rated for 5V @ 3A (Its the MI424WR one)
doomfest

Postby bszente » Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello!

I had exactly the same issue as svidgen. The PSU is exactly the same, from the Parallella Accessories Kit. After disassembling the PSU, the issue was clear: the two filter capacitors had bulged top and bottom.
pic1.jpg
PSU
pic1.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 21315 times

The bulged capacitors:
pic2.jpg
Capacitors bulged top
pic2.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 21315 times

pic3.jpg
Capacitors bulged bottom
pic3.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 21315 times

Replacing those two 1000uF 16V capacitors solved the issue. The Parallella board works well with it.

It is very weird that a brand new PSU has bulged capacitors. Capacitors usually do not bulge just sitting on a shelf. I have serious doubt about the manufacturing and testing process of this PSU. :-) Fortunately it is easy to fix.
bszente

Postby aolofsson » Mon May 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Wow, this is amazing!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you going through this process. I am still shocked that this happened with supplies that we bought in volume from a first rate electronics distributor!

Anyone having the "blinking green LED" problem should send a note to support@adapteva.com so that we can send you a new PSU.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby doomfest » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 pm

I can confirm with bszente. I opened up mine also and those 2 capacitors are also bulging. Gonna order some caps to replace them.
doomfest

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting