[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Blinking green LED?

Blinking green LED?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: Blinking green LED?

Postby Claggy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 pm

Built my Parallella's up tonight into their ABOpen Cases, on trying to boot them one power supply lights brightly, but blinks,
the other lights dimly, same on both parallellas, ordered a pair STONTRONICS - T2301ST's:

Maybe i'll try replacing the capacitors in the adapteva supplied power supply at a later date.

Claggy
Claggy

Postby Bikeman » Fri May 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Just for statistics sake, one more case here. PSU from accessory kit, this one operating in a German 240V outlet (fine print on the PSU claims to be ok with that). Blinking green LEDs on board and on the PSU itself, but board boots up ok (HDMI, Ethernet, keyboard, mouse all ok) with a rather feeble looking, but still 2A rated USB charger type PSU. At least the board seems to be undamaged despite the initial PSU failure. I guess before I put serious load on the thing I'd better get a good PSU. Not sure I want to wait for delivery from US tho. I should have bought the one I saw earlier today in the shop where I got the US to EU mains adapter :-( and a little fan.

Cheers
HB
Bikeman

Postby Bikeman » Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Now this is strange and suspicious:

The faulty power supply I got is from Actiontec, and it has a sticker on the front side that reads "MI424WR".

That model number actually belongs to a fiber optic internet router, an it all begins to make sense when you read this:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Resident ... C-CV090313

Which is basically a recall of the PSUs of those routers. I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but this looks fishy and might explain the seemingly high rate of failure of these devices. Looks like a bad deal to buy those PSUs.

Cheers
HB
Bikeman

Postby Claggy » Sat May 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Got my STONTRONICS - T2301ST's a hour or so again, both my boards now have steady green led's, appear on the network, and I'm able to ssh into them.

Claggy
Claggy

Postby aolofsson » Sat May 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Thank you for the detective work! We'll check this out with the psu distributor. Truly ugly stuff if it's related...
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby bszente » Thu May 22, 2014 5:30 pm

bszente

Postby cmcconnell » Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi,

I received my board yesterday and had the same blinking-led problem. I too received an Actiontec MI424WR PSU. (Incidentally, the led on the PSU blinks in sync with the one on the parallella, if that signifies anything.)

After much hunting through the many, many electronic devices I seem to have acquired over the years, I managed to find a 5V, 2A PSU and that produced a solid, rather than blinking led.

Booting is still a hit and miss affair, though, with a combination of the USB problems and the boot sequence freezing at the two penguins stage, both of which I have seen others reporting. So far I have managed to bring up a fully working GUI system (with keyboard and mouse functioning) only twice in numerous attempts.

My next step will probably be to apply Shodruk's suggested fixes - http://elinux.org/Parallella_Speed_Up_Ubuntu - in the hope that that improves things.

All I have connected to the USB is the radio dongle for a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Hopefully my 2A supply is sufficient for this configuration.

I have to say, my main motivation for spending the extra money and purchasing the Accessory Bundle along with my board was the dire warnings that were given about the need for a high-quality, compatible PSU. So this is all frustratingly ironic! :(
Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby Bikeman » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, same here, the PSU was my motivation for ordering the accessory pack. Oh well.

I'm quite sure that the USB fix will work for you as it has done for so many others, I think it should become part of the quick start procedure.

Cheers
HB
Bikeman

Postby bszente » Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm

bszente

Postby 9600 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Andrew Back

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting