[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - shut down by software

shut down by software

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

shut down by software

Postby paran » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi,
1) Does parallella has a shut down feature (similar to laptops and desktops) that can be shut down and/or reboot by software instead unplugging power cable?
2) How do I communicate with parallella with PC in headless mode? How to connect?
3) Why Ubuntu Linaro was selected for this hardware?
paran

Re: shut down by software

Postby timpart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:47 am

1) sudo shutdown -h now

2) The or over ethernet using ssh

Tim
timpart

Postby AlbertoGP » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:58 am

Does "shutdown -h now" or "halt" turn off the heat-generating components? I guess that would be the FPGA.
More precisely, will the board still overheat if you turn off the fan after stopping it in this way?
AlbertoGP

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 am

I don't think it does and my guess would be that you still need the fan when the processor is halted.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby tnt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 pm

You will most likely still need the fan. The board can't really shutdown itself, there is no way for it to cut the power. It will reduce the power a bit of course, but I don't think it will be all that significant. Just before the shutdown you could also deconfigure the fpga ( echo "XXX" > /dev/xdevcfg ) which will shutdown the entire fpga logic and turn off clock to the epiphany. But you'll still have the leakage currents.
tnt

Postby greytery » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:17 pm

tery
greytery

Postby FHuettig » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby FHuettig » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

I can't type "sudo" without thinking of . :)
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby greytery » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm

ah! it's same with the command 'make it so' - you've got to have the priviledges of rank!
Forgot that old root/redirection thing - thanks.

The 'shutdown' is a safety command to shut down all 'nix systems for software reasons. I try to remember it always - although I'm not sure just how resilient the latest ext4 file system is to just pulling the plug for those times I forget (at my age ...)
But my close-of-play procedure includes using the same on/off switch to kill the sytem and fan power together.

Looks like there's no hardware answer to the exam question of 'shut down by software' then?
One for perhaps?

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Postby paran » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:45 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to all for participating in this subject. The reason I asked these question is the following:

1) Shutdown by software. -> When I run ubuntu (with hmdi) I've got the common problem like everyone else. When running Firefox, the screen is flashing black. Other browsers do the same. When I tested leaftpad and other applications some will not start, or crash, or hang on desktop screen. This forced me to unplug the unit. Next time I ended up with desktop flashing a black screen. I assumed that ubuntu got corrupted. I think that to prevent this is to do a proper shut down by software before unplugging the power. It does not have to be hardware entirely but just microSD card (for sure) and maybe some other components. On next try I will try to burn the Ubuntu again and try to repeat that and not to do to many things at the same time.
I used separate power for my fan. I cannibalized fan from old PC junk a 12V fan and I used adjustable voltage power adapter for it but both parallella and fan are coming from same cable extension so I am turning both power cables off and on simultaneously.

2) Headless connection - >is it through second usb connector or through 3 pins or ethernet?

3) Why ubuntu linaro -> was it tested before on parallella and it worked before?
paran

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A