GNU / HURD

GNU / HURD

Postby tayirvadai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:11 am

Has anyone tried to implement GNU/HURD on Epiphany? I am curious to see this on Paralella. Once i receive my board, i will have to read up from scratch (hardware / programming , etc) to work on it. But i am excited to see other people's thoughts.

The idea is that HURD's multi-server architecture of OS can be expanded to Epiphany by using the ARM as the primary server and other 16 / 64 cores as additional servers computing multiple requests. E.g. One core can be dedicated to File Server, other can be dedicated to FTP, etc.

Will the above idea be plausible / practical?
tayirvadai

Re: GNU / HURD

Postby greytery » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 am

I'd say : both implausible and impractical.
Unlikely to fit - each epiphany core has direct access to only 32 kb of RAM - to be used for code, data, stack, etc.
Lots of discussion in this sub-forum about possible OS's for the Epiphany cores, but you can rule out the major - and usually bloated :) - candidates.

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Re: GNU / HURD

Postby tayirvadai » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks for the response. Given the fact that we will eventually see a lot of growth in semiconductor and graphine technology, i would think we can implement HURD in the near future. So for now let me experiment on assembly language as well.
tayirvadai

Return to Epiphany Operating System