[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Robot Operating System port

Robot Operating System port

Re: Robot Operating System port

Postby Gamedrummer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 pm

I recently ran into an issue when attempting to get base functionality running with our IGVC robot's ROS workspace. The nav-stack would not compile due to missing dependencies of 'ROS-Hydro-Navigation' and 'ROS-Hydro-Move-Base'. To correct this I attempted to install the missing dependencies, the only issue was that they were not available for Quantal. I determined this by looking into the repositories () I found that there was no "armhf" in the name of the Quantal packages that would not install and was in the packages that did install.

To correct this issue I am installing Linaro 13.11 (Raring) on my 64GB SD card following the instructions I explained on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 at 1:44 pm.

--John
http://www.chicagoedt.org
Gamedrummer

Postby Gamedrummer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 am

I installed Linaro 13.11 (Raring) and set up ROS Hydro for ARM. All required ROS packages were installed and the IGVC code compiled successfully I will be testing the code on the ARM processor for now and determine what I can push onto the Epiphany.

--John
Gamedrummer

Postby Gamedrummer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:10 pm

After attempting to run autonomy on Friday I noticed that whenever I plugged in the RoboteQ HDC 2450's USB connection to the Parallella that I was getting USB read errors. Looking further into this it appears that the USB-to-serial module is missing so I am looking at installing this and hoping it works, if not I may have to re-build the entire kernel and re-install Linaro.

--John
Gamedrummer

Postby 9600 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Andrew Back

Postby Gamedrummer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Gamedrummer

Postby Gamedrummer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I was able to build the kernel last night, following the steps from the guide ([url]viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1230[/url]). But I still had an issue with 'make menuconfig' not working becuase I did not have ncurses-devel installed. After about an hour of trying to install it I went to the README file and found that I can launch the same utility in Xserver so I ran 'make Xconfig' (I'll need to re-check that command) no issues.

I purchsased a TP-Link TL-WN725N from Amazon for around $8.88 so once I was in the configuration menu I followed this guide () to set up the kernel to work with the wireless device as well.

I started building the kernel at 11:00 PM last night, so I wont have results until tonight or tomorrow morning (I am not stating that it will take that long to build, just that I am a ways away from the Parallella today).

--John
Gamedrummer

Postby Gamedrummer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 pm

I tested the kernel I built and it did not work. Taking a second look in 'xconfig' I noted that I had selected the drivers for both the r8188eu driver and CDC_ACM to be loaded as modules, which, as far as I can tell, are not enabled. The mistake I made on my first build was that I had not set the parent configuration to be loaded as a driver as well, once I figured that out it was all down hill from there. I have attached the ".config" file containing the configurations of the functioning kernel. Note that to upload it I had to remove the period in front of the name and give it a ".txt" extension.

config.txt
Kernel Configuration File
(86.95 KiB) Downloaded 2556 times

After I put the new kernel in place I plugged in a RoboteQ HDC2450 and opened cutecom in the GUI. Sure enough I saw a ttyACM# (# being a number) and I was able to communicate to the device. The next step from here is to see if the rest of the system is working and test autonomy to determine what can be parallelized.

--John
Gamedrummer

Postby Gamedrummer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I rebuilt the kernel again to include Wii remote drivers, and Xbox 360 controller drivers for joystick_teleop (I will include the .config file later). Afterwards I attempted to operate the autonomous robot with the Parallella. All sensors were recognized once plugged in, but there is an issue that I can not figure out.

Whenever I plug in the RoboteQ HDC2450, an Xbox 360 wired controller, a mouse and a keyboard the system registers '/dev/input/js0', but whenever I attempt to run the joystick_teleop node (with RoboteQ_node) on the system directly, not though SSH, the error "cannot open /dev/input/js0" appears. The only time that the node works is if it is run thorugh SSH, or the Xbox 360 controller is the ONLY device on the hub.

There is another issue relating to the RoboteQ HDC2450, I'm not sure if it is CDC_ACM, but the device only works 50% of the time, it's very strange, and same as before only operates 100% when run through SSH.

The most important issue of all is that there appears to be a three second delay between commands on the system itself not just SSH. For example, I will enter "vim" and it takes three seconds before the text editor appears. Or I will attempt to tab complete something and waiting three seconds for a response.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be the problem, please let me know.

The only functioning USB port is on the side with the SD card and the HDMI connector, the other does not seem to work, not sure if the board has an issue or I'm using the wrong bitstream. The USB hub is a "Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)". And the micro-USB to USB adapter is a "StarTech.com 5in Micro USB to USB OTG Host Adapter - Micro USB Male to USB A Female On-The-GO Host Cable Adapter".

I can provide more information if anyone can help.

--John
Gamedrummer

Postby tinkernick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 am

Indigo ARM version is now available for 14.04

Installed fine for me yesterday
tinkernick

Postby Gamedrummer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm

The reason I am using Hydro is to conduct a proof of concept, I originally used Indigo, but to run the tests I needed required several packages that were not available for Indigo (at the time I used it). Once all tests are complete and I finish the ROS packages for Epiphany then I will be sure to port it over to Indigo.

--John
Gamedrummer

PreviousNext

Return to Robotics