[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - ERM Java Applet

ERM Java Applet

Moderator: michal.warecki

ERM Java Applet

Postby DeborahEllen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 am

Hello,

I would like to execute the EpiphanyMonitor2.java applet (located under epiphany-examples/apps/erm/) to visualize graphically my epiphany III's cores and mesh network resource statuses. Don't I need to install Java on the board to compile and execute this applet on the board? Or does one compile/execute EphipanyMonitor2.java on a different machine that has java, but remotely read the ecore.status and emesh.status files that are located on the parallella's board at /home/linaro/ecore.status (which the java applet reads from to visualize).

Thank you,
Deborah
DeborahEllen

Re: ERM Java Applet

Postby DeborahEllen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:34 am

Hello again,

OK, I installed Java on the Parallella board's ARM (not the 16 epiphany cores) in order to compile and execute the applet, using the steps:

To install java (openjdk)
> sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

To compile the applet (in the /epiphany-examples/apps/erm/src directory)
> javac EpiphanyMonitor2.java

To execute the applet
> java EphipanyMonitor2

I am trying to execute other Parallella demos simultaneously that utilize the 16 ephiphany cores in order to see activity in the cores/mesh loads display, but so far I see all green boxes and no activity in the visualization of the cores/mesh loads. I am not sure if the applet is updating...?

Thank you,
Deborah

P.S. For reference, I am trying to reproduce a demo similar to that seen at http://www.parallella.org/2013/10/05/pa ... arallella/ When I run the ./run.sh script under /epiphany-example/erm/, the applet does not pop up (only the command line display), that is why I thought I needed to install java and compile the supporting applet code (epiphanymonitor2.java) myself and run it myself..
DeborahEllen

Postby DeborahEllen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:51 am

P.P.S, I noticed in the run.sh script, there is reference to a EpiphanyMonitor2.jar file that is supposed to be located on ~/Desktop/ but it is not there.. maybe this is why the applet is not displaying when running the run.sh script. I am a little lost still on getting this demo to work.

I also realize now I may be in the wrong forum, since this is not about parallel programming epiphany cores using java but only running java applet on parallella's ARM :) thank you
DeborahEllen

Postby notzed » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 am

notzed

Postby DeborahEllen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello again, it works (partially) now :) Thank you @notzed for your help! Yes, my problem was that I was only running the java applet and another simultaneous demo (in this case i ran the fft2d demo) and I was NOT also running the erm's ./run.sh monitoring script (that writes to the emesh.status and ecore.status files).

To fix the problem:

1) run the erm demo run.sh script in the apps/erm directory (that gets the statuses and writes them to the emesh.status and ecore.status files).
in the /epiphany-examples/apps/erm directory:
> ./run.sh

2) run the compiled java applet that visualizes the emesh.status and ecore.status files. (make sure to first compile the EpiphanyMonitor2.java file using first with command javac EpiphanyMonitor2.java (you have to install java to do this (see earlier post in this thread)))
in the /epiphany-examples/apps/erm/src/ directory:
> java EpiphanyMonitor2

3) run the fft2d demo
in the /epiphany-examples/apps/fft2d directory:
> ./run.sh

** smile and see the java applet update - yeah! First, you see some epiphany cores' mesh load values turn red, as they are receiving data from the ARM, then you see the epiphany core load values turning red as they are processing the fft2d application

** :( however, it then appears the fft2d demo gets stuck and does not ever complete execution and the values of the cores' loads stay red indefinitely and there is no more core mesh load values depicting signs of the epiphany cores returning any results to the arm.

4) force quit the fft2d demo
in the /epiphany-examples/apps/fft2d directory:
> control-c

5) force quit the erm demo
in the /epiphany-examples/apps/erm directory:
> control-c

6) run the erm demo again to see the java applet update to all green (no activity)
(same as see step 1)

7) run the fft2d demo again to see the java applet update to green/red (activity in first the mesh then the cpu's)
(same as step 3)

Note, I had to do step 4) because the fft2d demo was not exiting on its own (even though the fft2d demo completes on its own OK when NOT running the ERM demo simultaneously)

Note, I had to do step 5) because *I think* the ERM demo was not updating the status files correctly after I force quitted the fft2d application (unless it was true that the epiphany core loads really were still active after the fft2d demo was force quitted..)

However, note, after running a couple loops of steps 3) through 7), the parallella ARM computer froze.. :(

I'll update this thread if I ever get a stable demo :) And appreciate any help if anyone sees where my problem is and/or has successfully executed the ERM demo in conjunction with any of pre-loaded demos on the parallella board.

Thank you again,
Deborah
DeborahEllen

Return to Java