[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Linux not recognizing all of the cores?

Linux not recognizing all of the cores?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Linux not recognizing all of the cores?

Postby baseballguy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I was running some benchmarks on the Parallella 16 core board and I was getting some weird results. I used the "nproc" command (described here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-get- ... e-command/) to see how many processing units are available. I was expecting to see 16, but instead 2 was outputted. I attached a picture of the rest of the details. I was wondering if anyone came across this problem or knows what to do to fix it?

Thanks
Attachments
sock.jpg
sock.jpg (106.16 KiB) Viewed 22580 times
baseballguy

Re: Linux not recognizing all of the cores?

Postby toralf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Shouldn't that output just show the ARM cores ?
toralf

Postby tincman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 pm

tincman

Postby baseballguy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Sorry, I'm pretty new to parallel programming and stuff, but is it possible to run these benchmarks (PARSEC) on the Epiphany cores instead of the ARM cores?
baseballguy

Postby baseballguy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Basically from what I understand, the CPU usage will indicate how many cores are running. For example, if 8 cores really are running, then the CPU usage would be 800%. If 4 cores are running , it would be at 400%. However, all of the PARSEC programs maxed out at 200% showing that only 2 cores(the ARM) are running.

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

Thanks
baseballguy

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Andrew Back

Postby baseballguy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. So my next step would be to try and port the PARSEC programs so that they have host and Epiphany codes?

Also, is there any way to know if the Epiphany cores are working? (any library call?)

Thanks for the help
baseballguy

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Andrew Back

Postby baseballguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Right now, I'm trying to run the Parsec benchmarks on the Epiphany cores. The programs on Parsec have this option where you get to choose your own build configuration out of these options:

- 'gcc' Build parallel version of suite with gcc
- 'gcc-serial' Build serial version of suite with gcc
- 'gcc-hooks' Build parallel version of suite with PARSEC hooks
enabled with gcc
- 'icc' Build parallel version of suite with Intel compiler
- 'gcc-pthreads' Build with pthreads parallelization (if supported)
- 'gcc-openmp' Build with OpenMP parallelization (if supported)
- 'gcc-tbb' Build with TBB parallelization (if supported)

Let's take the pthreads one for example. Let's say that I build the program using the command with the pthreads. What would be the next step to making sure that the program runs on 16 cores?

P.S (This is what I tried to do): I tried to say "parsecmgmt -a build -p fluidanimate -c gcc-pthreads" and then I said "./run.sh". The program worked fine. However, I used the erm program(https://github.com/adapteva/epiphany-ex ... r/apps/erm) to track the cores' activity and there were no changes(all the statistics stayed at 0)

Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated.
baseballguy

Postby sebraa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

If you select gcc-pthreads, your benchmark is compiled to use POSIX threads using the ARM cores. So it will parallelize, just not on the Epiphany. :-)

The host application is responsible for loading the programs into the Epiphany cores, communicate with them and make use of the data it receives. It is compiled with the host compiler (gcc) and runs on the host (ARM).
Then, you have the Epiphany applications, which are doing the heavy lifting. They are compiled with the Epiphany compiler (e-gcc), which is part of the SDK.

You cannot take a ready-made program, compile it with the defaults and expect it to use your Epiphany (unless it is written for or specifically supports it). It might work with OpenCL, but I haven't looked at it yet. So unless your application supports Epiphany or OpenCL, you need to port it yourself first.
sebraa

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A