[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Inconsistent Ethernet connection in headless mode

Inconsistent Ethernet connection in headless mode

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Inconsistent Ethernet connection in headless mode

Postby Nimonm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I am seeing inconsistent Ethernet connection with my Parallella board running in headless mode. I downloaded the programming files as directed and the board does acquire an IP address from my router but I am not able to access the board (ping or ssh) most of the time. I have success maybe one in 20 tries.

I also see two modes of LED flashing on the Ethernet jack. One more is solid green with slow blinking orange. The other is rapid blinking on both. The mode is somewhat random from boot to boot. Any idea if either of these two modes is what I should be looking for?

As a fallback, I loaded the programming files with HDMI and USB enabled and connected to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. With that setup, I was able to access the internet, ssh, and VNC into the board so I believe the hardware is not damaged. This is not a convenient setup so I don't want to run this way all the time.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be or how to get the headless version to boot reliably?

Thanks!
Nimonm

Re: Inconsistent Ethernet connection in headless mode

Postby arthurgarcete » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Arthur Garcete

CELTAB Researcher - http://www.celtab.org.br
Rice Network Groups Visiting Scholar http://networks.rice.edu/
arthurgarcete

Postby tufei » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 pm

I am having the same problem with the 16-core board. Although my experience is a bit better. I need to power-cycle the board 2-3 times before I can have one successful login in headless mode.

Removing the udev rule does not help at all.

The /etc/network/interfaces has only "auto lo" lines, "auto eth0" lines are commented out. I don't know how the network interface was brought up when that's disabled.

The output of `dmesg` does not contain lines related to eth0, only has "xemacps e000b000.eth: link up (100/FULL)" when I can remotely login.

I guess to get to the bottom, I'll need to diagnose with the serial console output.
tufei

Postby ajtravis » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby FHuettig » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 am

Greetings,

Boot problems in headless mode could be related to a problem that occurs if nothing is connected to the UART pins. This problem is fixed in the GUI-mode devicetree but not in the available headless devicetree. If you are seeing this problem when nothing is connected to the UART pins, and especially if you don't see this problem when you DO have something connected to the UART, please see and let me know if it fixes your problem.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby shodruk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby Morgaine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Morgaine

Return to Troubleshooting