[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - PSU - 5.2V Ok?

PSU - 5.2V Ok?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

PSU - 5.2V Ok?

Postby AndyC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Guys,

I have a 4A switching PSU here with variable DC 5-15V.

I just tested it with a meter and the lowest it goes is 5.2V, just checking that this should be ok with the board?

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Re: PSU - 5.2V Ok?

Postby sebraa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Did you measure while the PSU was loaded? If not, try again with a load attached. Usually they need at lease some load to have the correct output voltage. Transformer-based PSUs are worse, though.

On the other hand, 5.2 volts should not be a problem.
sebraa

Postby AndyC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It was tested unloaded. When I manage to get my heatsink attached I will give it a go and test it loaded.

Thanks

Andy
AndyC

Postby timpart » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 pm

I have a power supply for two boards and with one board attached it supplies 5.1V. I had a look at the board schematic and traced the 5V line. I looked up the specs of the chips I found attached and they all had a max operating voltage of 5.5V. (Absolute max of 6.0 or 6.5 volts, but you don't want to go there.)

I may have missed one or misread a spec though. Perhaps someone from Adapteva could make an official comment.

With a 4A supply there is the risk that if you accidentally short out the board you could blow one of the 4A fuses. (The supply might be able to send out a bit more than 4A briefly.)

Tim
timpart

Postby AndyC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Actually on closer inspection this thing outputs 5A at 5V.

If I put a 3A fuse in the plug would that go before the board fuse?
AndyC

Postby sebraa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:40 pm

sebraa

Postby AndyC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks for the info, I will give it a go and see.
AndyC

Postby timpart » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:57 am

timpart

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks for the info.

I will use it for the moment, when I manage to get some kind of breakout for the GPIO I will get another PSU, just incase!
AndyC

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A