Software defined radio

Moderator: tjt7a

Software defined radio

Postby yonidavidson » Fri May 15, 2015 10:46 am

Hi,
I represent a team of researchers.
We are planning on building a software defined radio (Reciever only) based on the Parallella platform.
I would like to connect an Analogto Digital convertor with a high sampling rate, unfortunally most of them are pcie commonication based.
I can live with some latency but I think that connecting to the Parallela FGPA will be possible to get a high thrupout connection .

Does anyone have experience with any of this ?

Thanks,,
Yoni
yonidavidson

Re: Software defined radio

Postby 9600 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

A Myriad-RF design has been done which may be of interest:

https://myriadrf.org/projects/parallella-rf/

To the best of my knowledge this has not been manufactured as yet, although someone is looking to get a few made. And it's really just a variation on the tried and tested Myriad-RF 1 module, so in theory there shouldn't be any surprises, assuming the Parallella interface side is all correct.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby yonidavidson » Sat May 16, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks for the quick answer.
I see in your previews posts that when using Parallella in Headless configuration , you can expand more ports on the FGPA.
You have written that you are working on extending more ports this way.

"Finally, a peripheral-rich “megaio” configuration is also in the works, which will provide second Ethernet (external PHY required), I2C and UART ports, plus SPI and CAN bus."
http://forums.parallella.org/viewtopic. ... 1154#p7248

Have you succeeded creating any high speed ports this way ?

All i need is an high speed port to connect the A2D , I can manage the latency needed to transform the data from the host.

Thanks,

Y
yonidavidson

Postby yonidavidson » Sat May 16, 2015 9:23 am

Hi,
Based on this :
http://www.parallac.org/#contact

I think that I might just use a bridge to connect my A2D to an external storage device to keep the data and connect them both to a Parallela board for processing,

Does do you any problem with this Architecture ?

As I said before , I don't mind the latency and since my data input will be much bigger then my processing skill I'll need an external storage for buffer.

Thanks

Y
yonidavidson

Postby 9600 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 am

yonidavidson wrote:Have you succeeded creating any high speed ports this way ?

I haven't personally, but with a Z-7020 board you have 48x GPIO pins which can be configured as 24x high-speed LVDS pairs. That should give you plenty of throughput... Of course, you'd need to implement some sort of interface in the FPGA fabric, that uses the AXI bus to transfer samples to the host. Pretty sure this has been done before, so I'd expect there to be stuff you could reuse.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Return to Software Defined Radio