HackRF

Moderator: tjt7a

HackRF

Postby LamsonNguyen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:18 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mossmann/hackrf-an-open-source-sdr-platform
"Transmit or receive any radio signal from 30 MHz to 6000 MHz on USB power with HackRF."
LamsonNguyen

Re: HackRF

Postby Gravis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 pm

LamsonNguyen wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mossmann/hackrf-an-open-source-sdr-platform
"Transmit or receive any radio signal from 30 MHz to 6000 MHz on USB power with HackRF."

very cool but the pricetag... yech.
Gravis

Postby tnt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:38 pm

You're kidding right ?

Not a year ago this kind of gear would have been multiple thousands dollars ...

275$ is _very_ cheap ...
tnt

Postby Gravis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 am

tnt wrote:Not a year ago this kind of gear would have been multiple thousands dollars ...

i'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you dont follow hackaday.
Gravis

Postby moeter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 am

What are the cheaper alternatives then?
I immediately baked for this project. For the usrp2 I payed 3000$ some time ago with some front ends...
moeter

Postby tnt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:43 am

Gravis wrote:i'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you dont follow hackaday.

Show me _one_ gear with the same spec at a lower price that's been there for >1 year. So that has to include TX & RX, ultra-wideband coverage with no gaps and 20 Msps sample rate.

I'm assuming you refer to the rtl-sdr (and yeah, I'm familiar with it, just look at the copyright notice of the e4k driver ...). And :
- Its RF signal quality is abysmal. It's enough for a lot of stuff and will work fine for those, but in absolute term, it's crap. The hackrf is better (although still not really good).
- Frequency range is nowhere near the same
- Sample rate is one order of magnitude off
- No TX
- Obviously not OSHW and not even real complete docs for the rtl2232 (and some of the tuner chips)
- No possibility of any kind of autonomous operation (i.e. not attached to a PC)
tnt

Postby Gravis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

tnt wrote:
Gravis wrote:i'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you dont follow hackaday.

Show me _one_ gear with the same spec at a lower price that's been there for >1 year. So that has to include TX & RX, ultra-wideband coverage with no gaps and 20 Msps sample rate.

well, for one, HackRF itself was around over and working over a year ago. you could get all the files for it on github (and you still can) and it would be cheaper just to build it yourself. so really, my complaint is more of the overhead for the parts and assembly.
Gravis

Postby LamsonNguyen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:47 am

I'm pretty sure it's reasonable for people without the knowledge/tools/motivation/time to do it themselves.
LamsonNguyen

Postby 9600 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 am

Gravis wrote:well, for one, HackRF itself was around over and working over a year ago. you could get all the files for it on github (and you still can) and it would be cheaper just to build it yourself. so really, my complaint is more of the overhead for the parts and assembly.

An early version of the HackRF perhaps, and the boards that many of us only just recently received were beta boards.

Build it yourself is fine if you have the time, tooling and experience, but for the vast majority building a board like that would be out of the question.

IMHO it's a pretty good deal and the margin is going to be significantly less than you'd see on an entirely proprietary alternative with similar capabilities (an order of magnitude, perhaps?)

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby Gravis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:08 pm

9600 wrote:Build it yourself is fine if you have the time, tooling and experience, but for the vast majority building a board like that would be out of the question.

well now you are just changing the requirements :P

9600 wrote:IMHO it's a pretty good deal and the margin is going to be significantly less than you'd see on an entirely proprietary alternative with similar capabilities (an order of magnitude, perhaps?)

definitely! however, just because it's the least expensive does not mean it's not overpriced. one claim i have high standards but would say they have low standards.
Gravis

Next

Return to Software Defined Radio