[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella as development board

Parallella as development board

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Parallella as development board

Postby zodane » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Hello,
It has been almost a year now since i bought my Parallella 7020.
If i buy a porcupine and a jtag cable, can i use my board for standalone application (without Os).
how can i program the epiphany (in standalone mode), maybe one arm should drive the epiphany while the second will run application, is the epiphany worth that!!

Regards
zodane

Re: Parallella as development board

Postby sebraa » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:27 pm

The Zynq boots from SD card (by loading kernel and bitstream), you don't need a Porcupine to change that. The Epiphany chip is connected to the PL part (FPGA) of the Zynq. If you implement the eLink protocol and a kernel loader in the FPGA, then you won't need the ARM cores at all to run stuff on the Epiphany. Lots of work, little gain.

I am not sure what you actually want.
sebraa

Postby zodane » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Thank you for feedback Sebraa.
I want a full communication between the 2 ARM cores , epiphany and PL.
I want to be able to debug software and hardware.
And finally i don't need an operating system (bare metal application).
zodane

Postby sebraa » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:08 pm

sebraa

Postby zodane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:23 am

zodane

Postby sebraa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:00 pm

You didn't answer the question.

Reading a video file from SD card and doing some processing on it is easy, given Linux.
Using the Epiphany for the processing can be doable, incredibly hard or plainly impossible, given Linux and eSDK.
Changing the FPGA bitstream to do the processing can be done, given Linux. Other's have done it.

Ditching Linux on the PS needs a really good justification.
sebraa

Postby zodane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Attachments
SW_Zynq_LECTURES_free.jpg
SW_Zynq_LECTURES_free.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 27771 times
zodane

Postby sebraa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:30 pm

sebraa

Postby zodane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Thank you Sebraa i will buy a porcupine daughter card + a hs2 jtag from digilent and see what can i do.
zodane

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A